About Me

My photo
London, United Kingdom
Please feel free to contact me for commissions: chloe@crewereadphotography.co.uk

Thursday 25 October 2012

Self Portrait


Today i felt I needed a facelift....          
                                                                                            ....for my website, not literally!!


I decided it was time to update the 'Contact me' photo, which in fairness was definitely a little dated! (I haven't had a fringe for years!)

So together with my fixed 50mm lens, I got to work and started trying out a few ideas for a new self portrait.








The beauty of the fixed lens is that the F-Stop is lovely and low (meaning a larger aperture) and at 1.4 loads of light is let in to which enables a faster shutter speed.

I tried a few techniques and wasn't sure this was the feel I wanted to give my site one way or another, so eventually settled on a quiet and unassuming image which hopefully demonstrates this informal style of portraiture and for once an image of myself I am happy with...

To create a dreamy and soft focussed effect I half pressed the shutter button, which took the focus reading on my eye. At F-1.4 This meant the rest of the image blurred around it. I sat in front of a netted curtain window which allowed natural light to highlight the left hand side of my face, and focussed on my eye using the reflection in a mirror and 'live view' on the back of the camera.

I was very pleased with the result.

Pensive, relaxed, yet enough detail to tell you a little bit about me.

So easy to do and no expensive studio equipment needed- definitely worth giving it a go!
GOOD LUCK!



No comments: